City of Meriden
Follow Us on TwitterFind Us on Facebook
Home  |  About  |  Site Map  |  Contact
Current Location
Translation Disclaimer

Public Works

 Engineering Services 
 Fleet Management
Highway Division 
 Traffic and Fire Alarm Division
 Trash and Recycling
 Transfer Station



The Department of Public Works is tasked with managing, operating, and maintaining the infrastructure  (except for water and sewer) of the City of Meriden in a productive, efficient, and environmentally responsible manner. Roads, bridges, drainage systems, traffic signals, road signs, fleet management, solid waste management and recycling are the responsibility of the Department of Public Works.

The Department of Public Works is made up of four primary divisions: Engineering, Highways, Traffic and Fire Alarms, and  Fleet Management.



- Request for removal / leaning trees located within the City's Right of Way – Parks Department  203-630-4259

- Downed trees/limbs  - Public Works 203-630-4018

- All emergency tree issues need live-wire verification from Connecticut Light and Power (CL&P)

 Gas Emergencies – Yankee Gas  - 877-YG4-LEAK (944-5325) 

 Electrical issues – CL&P (860) 947-2000  

 State Roads

The roads listed below are maintained by the Connecticut Department of Transportation.  Call  203-238-6240 for issues regarding these roads.

Broad Street / North Broad Street / South Broad St

US 5

North Broad Street north of Wilbur Cross Parkway

US 5/CT 15

Main Street South Meriden ( Between New Cheshire Road & Hanover Road)

CT 70

Hanover Avenue between Old Colony Road & New Hanover Avenue

CT 70

River Road

CT 70

Chamberlain Highway

CT 71

West Main Street between Cook Ave and Chamberlain Highway

CT 71

Old Colony Road / Cook Ave

CT 71

 East Main Street - Middlefield town line to +/-400 FT west